California Employment Development and Education Assistance

Unemployment benefits, student financial aid opportunities and California Paid Family Leave (PFL) are just three of many of the services offered by the California Employment Development Department (EDD). As well as providing these services, the EDD also handles the collection of taxes, maintains employment records and works with groups throughout the local community to develop programs and resources that facilitate educational and employment opportunities for people with special needs. Continue reading this page to find out more about unemployment compensation, student financial aid assistance, wrongful termination in California and California Paid Family Leave (PFL).

Student Financial Aid Opportunities in California

Financial aid opportunities for students are provided by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). CSAC offers several financial aid assistance programs for students including Cal Grant Programs, California Middle-Class Scholarship, California Dream Act, State Nursing Assumption Program of Loans for Education (SNAPLE) and Child Development Grant Program. The CSAC makes financial aid assistance available to people who wish to go to college or those seeking a technical or career education. It is free to apply for financial aid in California. Those interested can learn how to apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Many of the awards do not have to be paid back, but you must maintain high academic standards to receive the payments. If you receive free financial aid in the form of grants, but it is insufficient to cover your costs, and you do not have enough savings or other resources to pay for further education, then you may apply for a low-interest federal loan. Such loans are available for students and parents, and they have flexible repayment options.

To learn more about student financial aid opportunities, download our comprehensive guide.

California Unemployment Benefits

Unemployment benefits in California are paid under the Unemployment Insurance (UI) program. This program offers benefits to workers who have become unemployed involuntarily, and meet the UI eligibility requirements. If you become unemployed, you can apply for unemployment compensation by filing a UI claim. Once you have filed a claim, you must continue to meet eligibility requirements in order to receive your benefit payments. To qualify for unemployment assistance, you must have worked for the past 12 to 18 months, and you must have earned at least the minimum salary stipulated by the California guidelines. You must also be available for work during the time you are claiming unemployment benefits.

If you are receiving UI, then you may also be eligible for California Training Benefits (CTB). CTB is designed for people who are unemployed and wish to upgrade their current skills, learn a new trade or continue their education while receiving UI benefits. If you are accepted for CTB, then you will not be required to seek work or be available for work while you are completing your training.

California Paid Family Leave (PFL) provides a maximum of six weeks partial pay to people who take time out from work to take care of a family member who is seriously ill. California Paid Family Leave (PFL) will contribute benefits if you are taking care of a child, sibling, parent, grandchild, grandparent or spouse. You may also claim Paid Family Leave (PFL) if you are taking time off from work to bond with a new child or a foster child. To receive these benefits, you must meet the California eligibility requirements. Keep in mind, you will not be able to receive Disability Insurance (DI), Unemployment Insurance or workers’ compensation benefits while receiving PFL benefits.

California disability insurance provides short-term disability benefits to people who are unable to work due to illness, pregnancy or childbirth. Eligibility for disability insurance is based on your earnings, rather than the length of time you have been working. To qualify, you must be either working or seeking employment when your disability benefits begin. You will not be able to collect disability benefits and unemployment insurance at the same time. You must have a disability for at least eight days to claim this benefit.

Wrongful Termination in California

The laws governing wrongful termination in California provide regulations that help determine whether termination of employment is legal or not, and what form of compensation is required. California is an “at-will” state, which means that employees may be fired at any time without notice, however, if you feel you have been wrongfully terminated in the sense that your employment contract has been violated, then you may be able to file a lawsuit for wrongful discharge. Examples of wrongful termination include discharge due to discrimination based on personal characteristics such as gender, race, age, religion and disability, retaliation for exercising your employee rights, retaliation for exercising your legal rights and being coerced to leave your employment because of dangerous or intolerable working conditions. If your employer had a wrongful motive in terminating your position, then you may also be entitled to unemployment benefits.

To learn more about wrongful termination, download our free guide.

What Kind of Employment Development Services Are Available in California?

If you are currently unemployed and need help finding a job, the state of California offers unemployment benefits to eligible applicants, in order to help them get by while pursuing work. In addition to financial assistance, the Employment Development Division of California also offers training benefits, which allow unemployed individuals to learn new skills and get a higher education so that they can earn a better living. Find out more about these employment services by downloading our guide.

What Education Assistance Is Available in California?

Just as unemployed individuals can benefit from services offered by the state, so too can college students. California students can qualify for financial aid from the government, such as loans and grants, which can help them cover the costs of higher education. Find out how you can get financial assistance for your schooling by downloading our guide.