Financial Aid In California

California administers a number of programs designed to provide financial aid opportunities for students who are unable to pay for all or some of their higher education. Financial aid in California falls into several different categories. Cal Grant financial aid opportunities are funded by the state of California, and are administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). You can apply for Cal Grants if you have recently graduated, or if you are about to graduate high school. You must meet all the eligibility requirements, including academic and financial criteria. You must also submit all the information before the deadline to be considered.

Other financial aid opportunities include Pell Grants and Carl Perkins Loans. Pell Grants are financial aid assistance programs which are made available to eligible applicants who wish to have help paying for their first degrees. Eligibility requirements for this financial aid opportunity must be met; they include financial and academic criteria. Carl Perkins Loans offer financial aid opportunities under the Vocational Education Basic Grant Award from the U.S. Department of Education. These loans are available for eligible California residents who wish to apply for funding for technical or vocational higher education courses.

To apply for student financial aid in California, you will need to submit a California Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application. This form may be prepared annually by current and prospective students. It is available on October 1 each academic year. FAFSA enables applicants to determine their eligibility for financial aid by assessing their family situations, educational backgrounds and how much their families can contribute to tuition fees. It is worth filling out FAFSA each year even if your family’s income and resources put you out of the range for free education grants, because filing will automatically qualify you for a low-cost federal student loan.

If you wish to find out more about California student financial aid information, then continue reading the following pages.

California FAFSA Applications

You must complete a California FAFSA application if you wish to apply for grants and loans in the state educational sector. FAFSA is a free application for federal student aid. The California FAFSA application form can be used to apply for financial assistance from the federal government, including the Pell Grant, the TEACH Grant and the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). READ MORE

Federal Pell Grants And Cal Grants in California

Pell Grants are federal grants for students with financial need, while Cal Grants are state grants that assist needy students. The difference between the two is that some Cal Grants require a minimum GPA score, while federal Pell Grants do not. Both grants can be used by those who meet eligibility requirements at colleges throughout the state of California. In some cases, you may be eligible for both the Pell Grant and the Cal Grant program. READ MORE

Carl Perkins Loans in California

Carl Perkins loans in California are also known as federal Perkins loans, and provide financial assistance to college students in their post-secondary education. Carl Perkins loans are named after the former member of the U.S. House of Representatives. In order to gain access to the federal Perkins loan program in CA, students must first meet eligibility requirements, and then apply for loan assistance. READ MORE

Work Opportunity Tax Credits in California

The Work Opportunity Tax Credit Program (WOTC) is a separate, non-refundable federal tax credit that is part of the standard business credit. It is designed to provide incentives to employers who hire persons who qualify as members of target groups which have higher-than-average unemployment rates. California WOTC qualifying groups include Disconnected Youth, Ex-felons, Veterans and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Recipients. California WOTC is administered by the Employment Development Department, or EDD. The tax credit is earned by the employer during eligible employees’ first year of work. READ MORE

What Kind of Employment Development Services Are Available in California?

If you are currently unemployed and need help finding a job, the state of California offers unemployment benefits to eligible applicants, in order to help them get by while pursuing work. In addition to financial assistance, the Employment Development Division of California also offers training benefits, which allow unemployed individuals to learn new skills and get a higher education so that they can earn a better living. Find out more about these employment services by downloading our guide.

What Education Assistance Is Available in California?

Just as unemployed individuals can benefit from services offered by the state, so too can college students. California students can qualify for financial aid from the government, such as loans and grants, which can help them cover the costs of higher education. Find out how you can get financial assistance for your schooling by downloading our guide.